Cardamom has a beautiful, spicy flavor you might recognize from your favorite Indian desserts. We love it in vanilla ice cream because it adds a semi-savory depth of flavor that's almost floral in nature. Serve it at your next dinner party and you'll get plenty of requests for the recipe.
Cardamom Vanilla Soft Serve Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons green cardamom pods
- 4 ounces water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Grind the pods in a coffee grinder or spice grinder.
- Combine ground green cardamom pods with water and boil.
- At boil, remove from heat and allow to stand for 20 minutes.
- Fine strain the liquid and whisk in sugar until dissolved and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, sugar, heavy cream and vanilla extract. Once all ingredients are incorporated, mix in the cardamom syrup.
- Pour the mixture into the ICD and set to 12.
- Serve with a sprig of fresh mint.