New Englanders seriously love their coffee. In honor of that tradition (and for the benefit of coffee lovers everywhere) we’ve created a soft serve recipe sure to please any coffee addict.
Coffee Soft Serve Ice Cream (Sugar Free)
By Ice Cream Depot
A creamy and sweet, yet sugar free ice cream delight, with a coffee kick!
- 3/4 cup whole dark-roast coffee beans, coarse ground
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup Swerve (or 1 cup sugar for non-sugar free version)
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2-1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, warm the coffee, milk, and sugar over medium heat. Stir continuously until lightly steaming. Remove from the burner and steep for 30 minutes.
- Strain the coffee mixture well through a fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth and set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk the egg yolks until pale yellow and mix into the coffee mixture. Stir continuously over low heat until the mixture begins to thicken and coats the back of the spoon (about 10 minutes).
- Remove from heat and let cool 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once cooled, whisk in heavy cream and vanilla extract. Cover and refrigerate until ready to churn.