It’s officially summer! And June 21 is also National Peaches ‘n’ Cream Day. A creamy, peachy soft serve ice cream sounds like the perfect way to kick off the first day summer — and every day of summer!
Peaches n’ Cream Soft Serve
By Ice Cream Depot
A delicious, creamy soft-serve recipe with abundant fresh peach flavor and just the right amount of sweetness.
- 3 large peaches, pureed separately
- 2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ½ cup whole milk
- 1 ½ cup half and half
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a food processor, combine 2 peaches (pit and stem removed), the lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Puree until smooth and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks until the mixture thickens and turns a pale lemon yellow. It's ready when it forms a ribbon when the whisk is drawn up from the bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the milk, half and half, and ½ cup of sugar. Place the saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently to dissolve the sugar and heat until bubbles form around the edges of the pan. Do not let it come to a boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk a little of the hot milk and sugar into the eggs. It’s important to whisk constantly and vigorously. Slowly continue to add half of the hot mixture to the eggs.
Note: By keeping the eggs moving constantly, you raise the temperature of the eggs gradually, keeping them from cooking or curdling.
- Pour the warmed egg mixture into the saucepan and return to the burner. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Approximately 4 - 5 minutes (do not boil).
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in 2 pureed peaches and vanilla extract. Let the mixture steep for 1 hour.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve into an airtight container and chill for a few hours to overnight. Discard any pulp.
- Cut the remaining peach in half. Slice up one half into wedges and reserve for serving. Puree the remaining half of the peach and stir into the chilled mixture.
- Pour into the ICD and set to 13.
- When done processing, dispense and garnish with peach wedges.