When we saw that National Pineapple Upside Down Cake Day was coming up, Ice Cream Depot team member Carrie knew she had to make a soft serve recipe to celebrate. It's a family tradition — her sister has perfected a Pineapple Upside Down Cake recipe of her own. So, in honor of Carrie's sister and this sweet holiday, here's our soft serve version of this delicious springtime treat.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake Soft Serve
By Ice Cream Depot
This Pineapple Upside Down Cake Soft Serve Ice Cream recipe is the perfect springtime, summertime, anytime-at-all treat. It’s creamy, sweet, and filled with yummy fruit!
- 1 cup canned pineapple chunks (drained)
- ½ cup maraschino cherries (drained)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (packed)
- ½ tsp cornstarch
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup half and half cream
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup yellow cake mix
- ½ cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine the pineapple, cherries, brown sugar and cornstarch. Mix together and pour into a lightly greased baking pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes to get a nice caramel on the fruit, stirring halfway through.
- When done, remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Place the fruit in a food processor or blender. Blend until the pineapple and cherries are puréed.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the food processor or blender and mix until fully incorporated.
- Pour 3 ½ cups into the ICD and set to 16.
- When done processing*, dispense and garnish with extra pineapple and cherries then drizzle with caramel syrup!
*You may need to add more time to your ICD if your mixture is still warm from the time spent in the oven caramelizing the fruit.