Did you know that pistachio is one of the most popular ice cream flavors in America? We didn't! But as soon as we learned that fun fact, we set out to make a soft serve version. We based our creamy, sublimely nutty pistachio soft serve on this gelato recipe from The Pistachio Factory.
Pistachio Soft Serve Ice Cream
By Ice Cream Depot
A rich, creamy dessert with a deliciously nutty flavor perfect for fall, or anytime!
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ cup white sugar
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup half & half
- 5 oz unsalted pistachio butter
- 2 oz crushed pistachios
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, 1 cup of milk and ½ cup of half & half. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring the rest of the milk to a simmer.
- Gradually stir in half of the heated milk to the egg mixture (do this slowly to avoid cooking the eggs).
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and simmer.
- Continuously stir the egg mixture with a wooden spoon until thickened, 7 to 8 minutes. The mixture should be thick enough to coat the back of the spoon. Remove from heat and stir in the pistachio butter until smooth.
- Place the custard in an ice bath to bring down the temperature of the mixture.
- Let the mixture cool in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours to overnight.
- Add 3 ½ cups to the ICD and set to 13.
- Top with crushed pistachios and enjoy!