Inspired by a recipe in Mexican Ice Cream: Beloved Recipes and Stories, our Spicy Watermelon Sorbet makes for the perfect summer dessert. The peppers pack just the right amount of heat to wake up your taste buds, while the cool, sweet watermelon refreshes your palate. The recipe is a twist on a popular street snack in Mexico: fresh cut fruit topped with a sprinkling of salt, chili, and lime juice.
Spicy Watermelon Sorbet
By Ice Cream Depot (modified from Mexican Ice Cream: Beloved Recipes and Stories)
This sweet and spicy treat is a perfect way to stay cool on a hot summer day.
- 2 lbs cubed watermelon
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 limes, freshly squeezed
- 2 serrano chilis or 1 small jalapeno, coarsely chopped (seeds included for extra heat)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Mexican chili powder to taste
- Chili salt (optional)
- ½ cup salt
- 1 teaspoon Mexican chili powder
- Puree the watermelon with the sugar, corn syrup, lime juice, chiles, salt, and chili powder.
- Pour into the SX1000 and set to 13.
- While the sorbet is processing, mix up the chili salt. Combine ½ cup salt and 1 teaspoon chili powder in a small bowl. Rub the rim of a glass with a lime wedge and dredge in the chili salt.
- Dispense out the sorbet into the prepared glasses and get ready for a sweet and spicy flavor explosion!