This is probably the best version of vanilla soft serve ice cream we've made to date -- and we've tried a lot of recipes.
The difference in this one is the addition of xanthan gum as a stabilizer, in lieu of the whole milk powder. The xanthan gum gives the ice cream a more creamy, smooth texture, and the vanilla bean as flavoring is absolutely perfect.
Vanilla Bean Soft Serve Ice Cream Recipe
By Ice Cream Depot
Velvety smooth, creamy and rich homemade vanilla bean soft serve ice cream.
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 whole vanilla bean
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- Combine all ingredients in a blender, or use an immersion blender in a bowl (I actually use an immersion blender in a plastic pitcher, and then store ready-to-pour ice cream in the refrigerator until we want to use it). If you don't have a blender of any sort, be sure to whisk thoroughly; xanthan gum will make a gelatinous clump in the bottom if not.
- For the vanilla bean, slice lengthwise and use a paring knife to scrape all of the seeds directly into the bowl.
- Blend to combine ingredients, about one minute.
- Cover and reserve in the refrigerator until you’re ready to churn.
- When ready, pour 3.5 cups into the SX1000 and set the ICD to 16. For single or double-sized servings, set the ICD to 12.