This is probably the best version of vanilla soft serve ice cream we've made to date -- and we've tried at lot of recipes.
The difference in this one is the addition of xantham gum as a stabilizer, in lieu of the whole milk powder. The xantham gum gives the ice cream a more creamy, smooth texture, and the vanilla bean as flavoring is absolutely perfect.
Vanilla Bean Soft Serve Ice Cream Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- One whole vanilla bean
- 1/4 tsp xantham gum
- Combine all ingredients in a blender, or use an immersion blender in a bowl (I actually use an immersion blender in a plastic pitcher, and then store ready-to-pour ice cream in the refrigerator until we want to use it). If you don't have a blender of any sort, be sure to whisk thoroughly; xantham gum will make a gelatinous clump in the bottom if not.
- For the vanilla bean, slice lengthwise and use a paring knife to scrape all of the seeds directly into the bowl.
- Blend to combine ingredients, about one minute.
Cover and reserve in the refrigerator until you’re ready to churn.
In the Ice Cream Depot
- For the entire batch, set the ICD to 16.
- For single or double-sized servings, set the ICD to 12.